Thursday, May 24, 2012

Coming back to this place

I think it's time to start writing here again.  I have so many things that I want to think more about: medical issues and this crazy body of mine, parenting, living in the big city, the possibility of Project 3.0 ...

I don't really want to write too much about it, but the incredibly stressful experience of the spring was resolved.  I wish that it was just all's well that ends well, but I still feel slightly shellshocked by the whole experience.  There was legal counsel, and a few brave souls stepped up to the plate.  And just like that I'm back to work and moving on.

The fusspot and the dumpling are doing great.  The dumpling continues to not gain weight (6 ounces in 8 weeks despite every trick known to man to feed him) but he also seems just fine.  I'm sure that I will obsess much over his size, and then one day he'll eat, grow, and we'll forget about this little adventure into the negative 5th percentile.  At least that's what it looks like if you continue labeling the chart as we continue to fall.  Many, many phone calls and we did at least come up with a totally satisfactory solution for his anemia.  Our pediatrician assured me that she'd called 2 pharmacies and that there was nothing better than pining him done, sticking a wooden spoon in his mouth and pouring liquid iron down his throat while he choked and tried to spit it out again ... but a few more phone calls on my part and we found some children's chewable iron which is 100% not approved for babies or toddlers (because it's a slight choking hazard, not that he wasn't choking as we pinned him done and doped him before), but needless to say he enthusiastically eats every morning.  We really hope that as his iron improves his appetite may too.

I don't really want this to become a parenting after infertility blog, and we actually have another photo blog to document our adventures in the big city, but I also realized quite clearly in the past 2 weeks we're not there yet.  See, I've always wanted a big family and JD has always been ... well ... ambivalent.  But then again, for all of his faults, the man prioritizes my happiness above almost anything else.  And honestly I was too scared to even ask him if we were done.  But friends of his asked point blank at brunch if we were thinking of #3 (childless friends, needless to say.  Also ones who know about our IF problems.  Truly, only in America do people think that family size is an appropriate brunch conversation topic) and I gave my usual, "Yup, eventually, if JD says yes" and JD looked at me and basically said "I never said no" and just even that little nod started me off into realms of fantasy.

Oh, and then just to bring it back to reality my mother forwarded me yet another short, stupid, pointless article about PCOs (one of my two diagnosis).  The standard: metformin, cut out soda (which I haven't drunk in 4-5 years.  I have much better vices), lose 5% of your body weight, and live happily ever after article.  But the more I clicked through the links the more it brought on a feeling of overwhelming panic.  I mean, I'm not on metformin.  I'm not at all careful with sugar, my weight is fine but not perfect, I have had borderline gestational diabetes ... and I may very well be heading towards a lifetime of real diabetes and heart issues.  So I am going to be much more conscientious about my diet.  Less treats, more protein.  Oh, and back on vitamin because I had basically stopped taking them sometime in the sleep deprivation when the dumpling (worse nickname ever) was 8-9 months old.  I am not a crazy pro-vitamin person (I am actually terrified that they may all be contaminated), but I am back to taking liquid iron twice a day (floradix, shouldn't be taken with dairy), my prenatal (still nursing after all and you know ...), and fish oil (theoretically good for PCOs patients and heart issues).  Of course, I can't take any of those 4 doses together and 2 have to be taken at home so it's an annoying mess to remember.

We're obviously not there yet and the timing would be a mess (JD needs a new job, I need a job, we need to settle someplace where we can send the kids to public school) but then again I love the 26 month spacing between my kids.  I love that the fusspot has no memory of life before the dumpling, I love that they play together, I love that she has a million nicknames for him and is always watching out for him (sure, she also hits him over the head but that's normal, right?), I love that he wants to eat exactly what she is eating and play with exactly what she is playing with and the way he pops his head up in the morning and shrieks when he sees her.  So there's that.

Which is all to say that I hope to be back and posting about all the regular ol' stuff again: IF, parenting, raising biracial kids, working, etc.

3 comments:

Rebeccah said...

It's good to hear from you. Your posts always amaze me ... If anyone can handle a big family, you sure could.

jenn said...

I am glad to see you back! (id love to see your photo blog if you're willing to share)

I am also thrilled with the unintentional 26month spacing. The joy of seeing the two of them playing and hugging and fighting even is amazing.
I hope dumping gets a little upwards tick on the chart if only to allay your worry. I have been going through so much lately that id love to get backing my blog, but i need to figure out some more life balance first.

Here's to the start of summer & future plans!

Soña said...

Welcome back! Good to see you and excited to hear about project 3.0