Thursday, February 2, 2012

In no particular order

1. I had no idea that babies could grow teeth in a lopsided manner. The dumpling is currently sporting FIVE teeth. 2 top front, 2 bottom front, 1 right incisor. Tell me this is normal, please.

2. Totally adorable watching my daughter open her very-first new book in a series and appreciate that "the man just wrote this book." (The Monster Returns, for those interested. We love Jeremy Draws a Monsters although nothing else by Peter McCarthy).

3. US Airways is the worst. They are the only airline I have encountered which will not allow parents with lap children to check in online. On the way to the airport I happily checked in, took the bus, arrived late, ran by the counter and had them add my lap child and made my flight with 10 minutes to spare. On the way back the dumpling was already in the computer so I couldn't check in online, had to go wait in line, was still assigned the exit row (not allowed, obviously. I know this is why they don't give you seat assignments when you check in online with a lap child but there's a big difference between having a ticket with no seat and not being checked in), ran to the airplane, just made it ... and then everybody on the plane had to move to accommodate the fusspot, dumpling, and I dealing departure by a good 10 minutes ...

4. Oh yes, we went on a trip. The type of trip where you get a phone call, open orbitz, buy plane tickets ... and tell your toddler that instead of the playground you need to leave for the airport in 45 minutes. It was a bit hectic. There were some pleasant parts. The sun, having my high school friends rally around us and show up at 10 pm with take-out, etc. There was some craziness like not making it to the supermarket during a 3.5 day trip such that my children only ate take-out and delivery. Also, 2 toddlers in a non-baby-proofed house. The best was watching my son pry up a grate over the air vent and contentedly toss little toys down it ... needless to say it was a bit of a medical emergency (not too serious), and nobody else was available to help (ah, the joys of being overly-responsible), and it was definitively craziness. But we're back in the city and PT/nurses/food/help have all been arranged.

5. The fusspot is a city kid. She picked up gravel from my father's driveway and licked it. At least she didn't just eat it, right?

6. My son is tiny and it's kind-of freaking me out. We saw a friend's new 3 month old baby. And she weighed more than the dumpling. Bring on the peanut butter/avocado/cheese snacks. I know that we're not big people (although the fusspot was always 50% for weight), but he is really both small and skinny.

7. Any thoughts on when it is ok to start whole milk? Our pediatrician stomped her foot and said not a day before 12 months, but I'm thinking 11 will be fine. I mean, he's still nursing on demand 16 hours a day and getting pumped milk at daycare but every time we give him a drink of water it just seems like a wasted opportunity to get some calories into him. I know, I know, I know: nothing wrong with formula at all, but I'd rather not start it at 11 months and then transition him over in a month to milk.

8. Oh, also noted on our trip: my son has crazy separation anxiety at the moment. I guess I just hadn't noticed it because he's either with me or our regular daycare provider (he loves her), or our one regular evening babysitter (I have work stuff at night). But literally every time I left the room during our trip he would put his head down on the floor and sob. I just ignore this right and it goes away soon? There is nothing to be done, right? Some assurance that this is normal and about to end would be much appreciated.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I don't think the teeth thing sounds weird at all. Michael would have one side come in before the other for some sets. The other side will probably come in soon. There are probably kids out there that don't have any teeth yet.

I would do the whole milk. I can't remember exactly when we started giving Michael some, but it seems like it was around that time.

Michael had really severe separation anxiety around then too. His probably started around 9 months and if I put him down he cry and cry. If his normal teacher wasn't at daycare he'd scream and cry when I left. His normal teacher had problems because she needed to divide her attention between him and the 3 other kids she was suppose to be watching and he wouldn't let her so I had to let her borrow my baby wearing stuff so she could at least get something things done without him screaming his head off. I think he grew out of it around a year... that's when I lost my job so it was a little hard to judge.

I know it's hard to ignore those growth charts, but if he's hitting his milestones and happy, you can probably ease up on some of the food if you feel like your just stuffing him all the time. You know Michael is on the other end of the growth charts and I totally freak out about it... but I'm pretty sure it's just his genetics to grow the way he has and as long as I'm feeding him a healthy diet I try to just accept that it's his nature. Some kids are big, some are little and the way we measure kids is designed to create anxiety in all the parents of children that don't fit the model.

Nicky said...

Teeth: totally normal. My friend's daughter at one point had 6 teeth, and none of them lined up top-bottom. (Eg, she had the top left incisor, and the bottom right incisor, but not the corresponding two.) Funny looking, but normal.

Milk: when babies are both, they aren't able to produce an enzyme (?) that is needed for breaking down whole milk. (I'm probably butchering the chemistry here.) The majority of babies start producing that enzyme by 12 months, which is why you're told to wait until then. If you want to try it earlier, you can, but if he reacts poorly, you'll need to back off and wait a few more weeks. It's purely biological development, not nutrition, that says to wait until 12 months.

Separation anxiety: yep, both my kids did the same thing right around this age. With LL, it lasted about a month. With Kermit, it's still going strong. Theoretically, if you pick them right up, it will reassure them that you're there for them, and it will go away faster, but that must just be hogwash, who knows. I personally think they'll just go through that phase until their burning need to explore and be independent starts outweighing their fear of being alone, and you just have to wait for the scale to tip towards independence again.

jenn said...

The teeth sounds normal- but adorable!!
I would try the milk slowly (which since it's now weeks later you may have!) and just see if he has a reaction.
I ~hate~ useless airways! It's pretty much all my company uses for work travel & the only consolation I have is that I don't actually pay for it. But that is stretching it.
I'm sorry for health issues/scares & hope everyone is ok. Little Bear is seemingly rounding the hurdle of separation anxiety- but he's only 8 months so I hope that's it for him? And I worry sometimes about him being on the other end of the chart, we are now doing a little more baby led weaning than spoonfeeding solids (despite him demanding food so much!) and it seems to have helped the sleep issues a bit at least. I don't know- they all grow at their own rate & pace & we feed them good healthy food and then just have to watch them grow their own way. It sounds like he is a perfectly healthy normal boy- he's just a peanut!