Monday, September 12, 2011

Let's all play Dr. Google

I hear that crowd sourcing is the new thing. Or maybe it's just that my head hurts too much to think properly myself.

So here is the question of the day, my dear readers: any thoughts on what I should ask the doctor as a possible explanation for about 2 weeks of intense headaches, mostly in the late afternoon/early evening and often combined with dizzy spells. Besides the big picture things (IF, stomach problems, insulin resistance) my health has actually been rather excellent over the past year or so and so I'm more than a little nervous that I've been getting recurring headaches for the past 2 weeks.

Nothing allergy-wise going on in the big city. Definitely unrelated to my swollen foot (since that started yesterday). I was going to have them check my iron levels since I am prone to go super-anemic. Anything else I should ask about? My guess is that I will otherwise be released with the advice to take tylenol in less than 90 seconds (and that probably is the most appropriate medical advice). Suggestions? Thoughts? Anyone want to come run my life for me while I curl up in a ball in a dark room and nap?

6 comments:

Ms. J said...

Not trying to sound silly, but trying to rule out the obvious . . . are you missing afternoon caffiene or have you cut back? How about your vision, has it changed, do you wear contacts/glasses? Could it be tension headaches that are having an onset at around the same general time of day?

Is your blood sugar dropping and you need more food at that time of day? I recall that's been an issue for you in the past. I get the shakes and a bad headache in the late-afternoon if I haven't fueled my body enough. Yes, definitely get iron levels checked,

SS said...

there was an article somewhere in the paper this weekend (wither WSJ or nytimes) that we're about to enter one of the worst allergy seasons ever. Maybe these weeks leading up to it are triggering something? I don't have allergies so I didn't read the article. good luck.

Anonymous said...

I get amazingly bad headaches in the afternoon when I get even a tiny bit dehydrated (or, say, once when a roommate bought decaf instead of fullcaf for the coffee pot.) if you're drinking a bunch of water & aren't as caffeine-dependent as I am, I'd def. get it checked out by a non-Googly Dr.

DrSavta said...

Definitely consider dehydration. It won't hurt to push fluids in any case.

Nicky said...

I was going to say dehydration or sleep deprivation. Both of those get me in the afternoons. Also consider the possibility of migraines, which can be heavily influenced by hormones. If your supply is indeed dropping a bit, your hormone levels will bounce around a bit in response, which can cause migraines. I had horrible bouts of migraines right before I started menstruating again after pregnancy, and immediately after weaning both my kids. (I know your cycles are usually wonky, mine too. But my first 3-4 cycles after a pregnancy are fairly normal, but are accompanied by wicked migraines, then the cycles go all weird again. Don't automatically rule it out.)

Your doctor should be able to ask a few questions to figure out whether they're likely to be migraines or not. (Eg, where the pain is located, whether you're light-sensitive during the headache, whether pain relievers help, the nature of the pain, etc.)

jenn said...

Everything I thought of has been suggested by the other lovely commenters! But I do also get a bad headache and a bit dizzy in the pm if I either don't drink enough water or miss my 2nd cup of morning coffee (not necessarily an afternoon caffeine thing)
I know you had some iron issues previously so that does sound plausible as well as making sure your blood sugar isn't dipping every day the same time. I think all of those things should be a pretty immediate kind of fix, so if it still happens then seeing a non-google dr may be in order.