Really, I have things to write about. Substantive things. Like co-parenting and the racial composition of our local neighborhoods and mom friends and work. But for now, another quick question for my dear readers.
After much lingering anger at my darling JD for failing to plan a summer vacation, I finally told him outright that I was really pissed and I expected him to fix it immediately. Hence, we going on a real Va-Kay! After a good hour pricing all of our options, including train and plane to various local-ish destinations we are off to Toronto by car. Our current plan is to spend a night in Rochester on the way up to Toronto and a night each in Niagara and Syracuse on the way back to the city (the fusspot and dumpling are in their carseats exceedingly rarely, which means that long car trips don't always go that smoothly). So now I ask you, dear readers:
1. Good stops enroute from NYC to upstate New York?
2. Good restaurants/places to run around in the Finger Lakes district?
3. Thoughts on visiting Toronto?
4. Thoughts on visiting Niagara with a toddler in tow?
All advice very much appreciated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Toronto sounds awesome! I was there (&@ Niagara) some years ago & loved it. As silly as I find them & in theory loathe them... perhaps a backpack with a 'leash' attached? Fusspot will want to run if anything like pumpkin & next to cliff + water may be the time for a convenient handle. You live in such an urban city that being in strollers for a bit shouldn't bother her, but travel crayons, snacks & toys get us through long car rides. Good luck & have fun!
Despite my horrid, horrid lack of commenting lately, I have actually been reading and thinking a lot about you guys.
I am so glad you survived your move. I cannot imagine moving with two babies in tow, AND doing most of the packing myself. I love H, but I would have killed him if he only managed to pack one or two boxes!
And SO GLAD that there is nothing amiss with 2.0's blood. We get to see the pediatric hematologist in August for them to take massive amounts of blood from both boys (whoopie!) in an effort to confirm that they have H's hereditary spherocytosis. If they aren't able to confirm at this point, it simply means that they come back at age 2 and have more blood drawn. And if no confirmation at that point, back at age 3, etc. And if they ever do confirm, they'll still come back on a yearly basis to watch the progress of the spherocytes in their blood stream. So basically, no matter what the outcome, they'll have annual bloodlettings for the rest of their lives. Awesome. My point, I think, is that I remember them having blood drawn (a LOT of it) around six months, and H holding them down while they screamed and the nurse milked their poor veins for blood. It was awful, and I'm sorry you had to go through that. I can certainly commiserate.
Um, lessee... what else? I'm missing something, I know. Limited usefulness at this point, probably, but we survived many almost-meltdowns on our road trip by 1) wedging my huge backside between the carseats in the back and singing/playing with the boys, 2)pulling over to nurse frequently, 3)pulling out new toys every so often-- these were toys/books picked up from the dollar bin that we hid from them before the trip and then whipped out at appropriate intervals for the "Ooh, Shiny!" effect. It worked better than I thought it would. And also, snacks. Just when they'd start to fuss, I'd hand them back one or two cheerios at a time, or a sippy of water. Keep in mind that we did three full days on the road each way, seven-eight hours each day, and we survived (actually, we more than survived. I was shocked at how good they were as travelers...). So, if we can do it, you surely can, too!
As for toddler-at-vast-water-source, I pretty much just refused to let the boys out of my/H's grasp for the entire walk in proximity to the Mississippi river. We had considered a river boat ride, but my palpitations and sweaty palms overrode that. I just couldn't imagine trying to wrangle them away from a railing, especially with Jack who won't sit still, and Henry who must crawl, crawl, crawl. I kept morbidly picturing myself diving into the flood-swollen waters to retrieve one of them and promptly nixed the idea of a boat ride. Maybe when they're older...
Post a Comment